Cauliflower belongs to the Brassica family that includes broccoli, cabbage, kale, arugula and Brussels sprouts among others. This is a heart friendly veggie due to its sulforaphane content. It is high in vitamin C and folate, low in calories and carbs, and high in dietary fibre which makes it well worth introducing into your diet. This quick yet delicious recipe is an easy way to give cauliflower a try.
1 large fresh Cauliflower head
2 tablespoons EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
2 tablespoons spring onions, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh parsley or coriander, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
Pinch of ground black pepper (optional)
1) Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F (can be cooked in the oven or on the BBQ).
2) Wash the cauliflower, trim the outer leafs and the bottom core, slice it into 3/4 inch thick slices.
3) Mix olive oil with minced garlic and brush the slices of cauliflower on each side. Season the cauliflower steaks with salt and black pepper on both sides as well and place them on a baking sheet.
4) Bake for 15 minutes, turn the steaks on the other side and bake until tender or to desired consistency, another 10-15 minutes.
5) Serve immediately garnished with chopped spring onions and parsley.
Note: add a pinch of cayenne hot pepper for a spicy kick, smoked paprika, curry powder or any other favourite herbs or spices in your kitchen.