Two vegetarian recipes that need to become part of your repertoire.
Getting more veggies into your diet doesn’t mean resigning yourself to nibbling on carrots and celery sticks, if that isn’t your thing (although they are delightfully crunchy and wonderful with hummus or baba ganoush). Putting a little effort into creating dishes that use a rainbow of fresh produce is a surefire way to make them more delicious and will provide your body with the range of vitamins and minerals it needs. These two vegetarian recipes are so delicious you’ll be amazed at how simple they are to pull together.
This delicious chilled vegetable soup originates from Andalusia, Spain. It is a great way to introduce more raw vegetables into your diet and while delicious any time of year, it is perfect to cool down during the hot months. It also makes a great appetizer for a party since you can make it entirely ahead of time; serve it a small glass (a shot glass works well as an individual serving).
2 lb. ripe Roma tomatoes, chopped
1 English cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 small red onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 hot pepper, chopped (optional)
3 tablespoons organic extra virgin olive oil
1-2 tablespoons sherry vinegar or organic apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons parsley or coriander, chopped
½-1 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt, to taste
½ teaspoon pepper
½ teaspoon thyme
½ teaspoon cumin seeds, ground
1) Wash, clean and chop your vegetables.
2) In a large blender, combine tomatoes, cucumber, bell peppers, onions, garlic, hot pepper and parsley. Blend until smooth, about 2 minutes. Work in batches if necessary.
3) Add the vinegar, salt, pepper, thyme and cumin seeds. With the motor running, start slowly adding the olive oil. Blend until everything is incorporated.
4) Chill in the refrigerator for a few hours. Before serving, adjust seasoning if necessary, garnish with your favourite toppings and enjoy!
Colourful, quick to make and very satisfying, this salad is great by itself or as a side dish. The flavours will make it feel like you’ve escaped to a Greek island. Make it your own by adding your favourite chopped veggies, herbs such as fresh basil and dill, walnuts, chopped hard-boiled eggs or roasted chicken. In fact, make a big batch of this salad to use as a base for your meal-prep lunches.
1 English cucumber, chopped
1 large tomato, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 yellow pepper, chopped
1/3 red or sweet onion, thinly sliced
½ cup feta, cubed
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
½ cup black kalamata olives
1-2 tablespoons fresh coriander, chopped
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 lemon, juiced
½ teaspoon Himalayan pink salt, or to taste
½ teaspoon pepper
1) Make the salad: in a large bowl, combine cucumber, red bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, tomato, onion, olives, chickpeas and feta.
2) Make the salad dressing: in a small jar, combine the olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper and coriander. Shake until emulsified.
3) Dress the salad and serve immediately.
Photos By VIOLET GHELETCA Follow (@naturallycut)